Thanksgiving is just around the corner. We’re all looking forward to spending time with the family giving thanks for our blessings. And we certainly have a lot to be thankful for!
But while most of us probably remember to give thanks for home, family, friends, turkey, and pumpkin pie, all too often we overlook the little things, the tiny miracles God gives us to enjoy each and every day.
Pause and consider:
- Delicate patterns of frost on fallen leaves.
- Sweet, crisp apples from the orchard.
- Flocks of geese calling overhead as they travel south.
- Fluffy clouds streaked across the sky.
- The bold beauty of a fall sunset.
- The persistent clucking of a hen laying an egg.
- A warm fire crackling in the fireplace.
- Hot cocoa and coffee.
- Clear, starry nights.
- Rest and plenty after a season of hard work.
We take these things for granted because we see and hear them so often. But are they not from God?
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.James 1:17
This Thanksgiving, perhaps we should make it a point to recall some of these minor miracles (if there can be such a thing as a “minor” miracle) and give credit where it is due. These simple things make our lives richer, and if we let them bring us closer to God, we will have found wealth indeed.