When berry season comes around, it’s great to have several options available so that you can enjoy your fruit in a variety of ways. One recipe that you should definitely keep in your repertoire is shortcake.
Shortcake is very versatile. You can have it as a dessert, a breakfast, or even as a side dish at dinner. You can top it with strawberries earlier in the season and blackberries later on. You can serve it with milk, whipped cream, chocolate chips, or just by itself.
This recipe will make two shortcakes.
A super-easy recipe that pairs well with any kind of fruit.
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 cups whole grain flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk powder
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Spray two 8 x 1-1/2-inch round baking pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients in food processor.
- Add butter and process until crumbly.
- Add water and pulse just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between pans.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and finish cooling on racks.