Since fall migration is picking up, some of you may be looking for ways to attract new birds to your yard. Here’s a friendly book that will give you some ideas.
The Backyard Bird Feeder’s Bible: The A-to-Z Guide to Feeders, Seed Mixes, Projects, and Treats by Sally Roth is arranged alphabetically, starting with accessories and ending with zinnias. Entries are grouped into eight categories:
- Plants for Food: How to grow flowers and trees that birds love.
- Bird Foods: Tasty treats using ingredients you already have in your kitchen.
- Birds: All about common species of backyard birds.
- Bird Behavior: Why birds do the things that they do.
- Bird Watching: How to sharpen your skills.
- Animal Visitors: Attracting and deterring the mammals that show up at the feeder.
- Feeders and More: Everything you need to know to buy, build, or maintain a feeder.
- Seasonal Subjects: Responding to the changing needs of backyard birds.
The Backyard Bird Feeder’s Bible is absolutely packed with handy information, but it is by no means a dry or heavy book. This guide is extremely inviting and easy to use. Projects and recipes add a fun dimension and may spark your own creativity.
If you love birds, The Backyard Bird Feeder’s Bible will probably become one of your favorite resources. It makes a great gift, too. Excellent starting point for the beginner, but also a good reminder to the seasoned birder of why he started watching birds in the first place. Highly recommended!