Rhubarb Custard Pie
A family heirloom to start the growing season right.
And if you had a bumper crop of rhubarb this year, you can enjoy this treat even longer. Frozen rhubarb comes back well in a pie.
This good old-fashioned recipe is a family heirloom. Who knows? Maybe it will become a tradition in your family, as well.
- 3 cups finely cut rhubarb
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- Place cut rhubarb in the unbaked pie shell.
- Sprinkle rhubarb with granulated sugar.
- Mix brown sugar, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- Spread brown sugar mixture over rhubarb.
- Bake 17 minutes at 400°F.
- Reduce heat to 350°F and bake 12 more minutes, or until crust is golden brown and rhubarb is tender.
- Serve warm or, better yet, chilled overnight. It’s particularly good with a scoop of ice cream on top.