As wet weather sets in, it’s handy to have access to tools for tracking rapidly changing weather conditions. One resource we’ve made good use of is the WunderMap from Weather Underground.
The WunderMap is an impressive compilation of data from the National Weather Service, trained spotters, law enforcement officials, and citizen scientists. With the click of a checkbox, you can view:
- Temperature, wind, and precipitation data from weather stations.
- Live radar and satellite images.
- Current warnings, watches, and advisories.
- Front types and locations.
- Data from the GFS and ECMWF models.
- Locations and timings of positive and negative lightning.
- Major active fires.
- Reports of severe weather such as ice, flooding, and hail.
- Tornado strength.
This one is great for weather enthusiasts of all levels. If all you need to do is loop the radar, it’s easy. But if you are eager to try your hand at some amateur forecasting for your own personal benefit, you have some good tools at your disposal.