Lessons from a pro!
Tony Trischka’s Essential Practice Techniques for Bluegrass Banjo is a great way for a beginning banjo player to pick up important tips on best practices, but it can also be useful for the intermediate player seeking to brush up on key skills. Either way, foundational technique is the focus.
Topics covered include:
- Standard rolls.
- Right-hand finger independence.
- Playing by ear.
- Effective practicing.
Exercises and etudes are provided to illustrate the skills and reinforce the technique, each lesson building on the last. Be sure to focus on following Trischka’s clear and logical advice about playing in time and with an even tone. If you pay attention to these details, you will be well on your way to mastering the banjo and sounding professional.
A PDF booklet with all of the necessary tablature is included on the disc.
Highly recommended for all who take banjo technique seriously!
June is just around the corner. Take some time to sharpen your knowledge of farming, music, crafts, and history.
- Find out how glyphosate-resistant crops work.
- Brush up on your mandolin technique.
- Teach your kids how to knit on those rainy days.
- Discover the story of the Stetson hat.
- Make a strawberry shortcake.
- Collect five things every beginning charcoal artist needs.
- Consider what caused the Dust Bowl.
- Learn to play 10 essential bluegrass songs.
- Start working on your life list.
- Add some recommended remedies to your farm first aid kit.
How about a lesson from one of the most talented mandolin players in bluegrass today? With Essential Techniques for Mandolin, you will have the opportunity to sit down and receive technical tips from Chris Thile.
In this DVD, Thile discusses both the left and right hands and how they should handle the mandolin. You will learn:
- Why you should keep your hands relaxed while playing.
- How to keep your fingers close to the strings for efficiency.
- Correct picking patterns to use in all situations.
- Scales and arpeggios to take you all the way up the neck.
You will be provided with helps for practicing these techniques, too. Thile uses several tunes to illustrate the principles that he is discussing. After learning the key technical principles and mastering a song with the help of the included tablature, you can play the tune with Thile, and then take the lead as he provides the accompaniment.
Another nice feature of Essential Techniques for Mandolin is the incredible solo performances of several of Thile’s original compositions. These will definitely inspire you!
For all mandolin players who are interested in improving their skills, working with Essential Techniques for Mandolin is a great way to master the instrument. Take your time with this one. It will challenge you.