You know what they say—waste not, want not. And what more delicious application of this proverb is there than bread pudding?
This super-easy recipe is a family favorite and an excellent way to keep those bread heels and halves from going to waste. If you make your own homemade bread on a regular basis, it’s hearty, too.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups bread cubes
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 eggs
- Place milk and butter in a 4-cup microwavable measuring cup. Microwave uncovered on high 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread bread cubes evenly in a round microwavable dish, 8 x 1-1/2 inches.
- Sprinkle with raisins, brown sugar, and nuts.
- Quickly beat eggs into warm water mixture. Pour over fruit.
- Microwave uncovered on 70% power for 9 to 12 minutes until center is almost set (center will set while standing).
- Serve warm.